Drilling has never been a simple job. That is because it is tedious, entails the use of bulky materials, calls for heavy muscle power and is potentially injurious. To be assured some great outcomes, you require a perfect drill machine for the job.
With many categories, options, and types of these machines in existence today, finding the right one might never be easy. You require some thorough background checks and appropriate guidance to do a good job.
Read on to find out more about them and some frequently asked questions.
- VARIABLE-SPEED: 3/4-HP motor has 16 speeds from 200 to 3,630 RPM.
15 Best Floor Drill Presses
#1: Powermatic PM2800B 1792800B Drill Press
Intending to take on too daunting tasks? If you do, this is the brand of product we would wish that you lay your hand on. It blends awesome design, durability, and innovation. It is hence more likely to do a good job.
Mechanical Variable Speed
Different tasks require different operational speeds. The manufacturer of this drill understands that fact only too well. That is why it has made provision for you to vary the speed of operations appropriately. You will not have to alter the belt as you do so though.
6-inch Quill Travel
On this machine, the quill shall travel a comfortable distance of around 6 inches. Making the quill travel is not really daunting as you will only engage one handle to do so. The pleasure of maximum comfort hence awaits you in this machine.
Adjustable Fence System
To align and secure your work, you will make do with some adjustable fence system. This accords some 90° working relationship to your working table. It, because of this, avails some rapid alignment of the stock you are working on.
- Good for those repetitive tasks which require consistency
- Keeps you posted on your progress via a digital RPM readout
- Quite simple in scope
- Relatively easier to make use of
- Yields some mechanical elegance
- Lacks some equally vital components
- May not perform some difficult tasks
- Not very stable
#2: WEN 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill PressNo products found.
Need to do some truly powerful tasks? If you are, this could as well be the drill press you have been looking for. It exudes truly great power. At the same time, it is suitable for both professional and home applications.
It comes along with some flexible illuminating light. With this, you get to light your work surface well. This way, you also eliminate some ambiguities in the course of use. You also get to work uninterrupted in moments of low illumination.
Depth Adjustment Gauge
You will also be able to limit the spindle travel you prefer working with. To do this, you will make do with some depth adjustment gauge. This way, you will also accomplish repetitive drilling outcomes which are needless to say accurate.
Professional tasks require added precision. For this, the machine contains a precision laser. This one illuminates to specify exactly where the bit shall travel. In so doing, it accords some precision while drilling through materials.
- Unparalleled for drilling 4×4 boards
- Adjustable RPM allows for handling many tasks
- Performs many relevant chores at a time
- Pivots in many directions for smooth workouts
- Backed by excellent customer care regime
- Definitely not for less experienced users
- Requires too much mounting space
- Inflict higher power costs on you
No products found.
#3: Rockwell ShopSeries RK7033 6.2-Amp 10″ Drill Press
If you are engaged in matters mass production, you require a drill press which is optimized for repetitive tasks. No other machine does that job better than this one. It also accurate enough to yield you awesome outcomes as well.
Cast Iron Work Table
Its work table is durable owing to the cast iron construction. It is hence more likely to provide the support required for tough chores. Also, the table bevels up to 45° to the left and right. This yet again provides some flexible operational environment.
5 Operating Speeds
You will choose from five operating speeds as you working on this drill press. The speeds vary from 620 to 3100 revolutions per minute. With regards to this, you will be able to operate at a pace that is truly convenient for you.
Keyed Safety Switch
For your safety, the press contains a keyed safety switch. As you may have guessed, this one prevents accidental starting. In light of this, it also prevents the associated problems which may arise with that issue later.
- Yields high value and performance
- Designed to last
- Improves flexibility and accuracy
- Completes projects with quality and speed
- Great for do-it-yourselfers and homeowners
- Tedious to engage
- Costly to acquire
- Takes longer to yield the desired ends
#4: Klutch 13in. Floor Mount Drill Press – 3/4 HP, 16-Speed
Does your workshop experience low visibility? You cannot afford to lay your hand on any other drill press randomly. The one you choose definitely had to be equipped for such unusual circumstances of use.
Chuck Key Storage
While drilling, you have to tighten the chuck every quite often. It is only fair that the drill press you settle for has the chuck key ready and easily accessible. The one for this machine is located close at hand and is easier to find.
Gooseneck LED Light
As stated above, this press is mainly built for use in locations of low visibility. It does contain some gooseneck LED light to let you play this role. This light illuminates your work surface to let you work unhindered and accurately.
5/8-inch Chuck Capacity
Its chuck capacity is the impressive 5/8 inches. This is accompanied by 1-inch maximum drilling capacity. You will be able to handle numerous chores and work styles courtesy of these two parameters.
- Locks the depth firmly in place for your maximum comfort
- Works on wood and metal alike
- Exudes awesome power and high versatility at the same time
- Equipped with a powerful 3/4 HP, 120V motor
- The table tilts at 45° for numerous drilling angles
- Smaller working surface
- Unable to handle larger chores
- Sustains damages easily owing to delicate parts
#5: JET J-2500 15-Inch 3/4-Horsepower 115-Volt Floor Model Drill Press
In case you are the kind of a person who mostly engages in strenuous activities, this is a press you badly want to lay your hand on. That is because it is mostly optimized for stability. You will hence hardly experience any fidgeting which might injure you.
Ball Bearing Spindle
Of course, all drill presses contain the ball bearing spindles. The difference between the one for this press and the one for the others is how they are designed. The one for this press is permanently lubricated. It subsequently lasts longer.
Steel Column Diameter
At its core is a steel column diameter which is large and grounded on the floor. This construction yields some maximum support to the table itself and the head of the drill press at a time. You have some comfort and reliability to count on.
Heavy-duty Ball Bearings
To rotate the movable parts, the drill press makes use of heavy-duty ball bearings. They are enclosed in some quill and are longer lasting. Expect hence to enjoy much of your time and effort while engaging this machine.
- Produces accurate outcomes
- Permanent lubrication negates the need for constant maintenance
- Truly reliable for deep hole applications
- Its accurate depth stop achieves precise hole depths
- Offers unparalleled support to your workpieces
- Requires huge muscle power to engage
- Imposes some fatigue on your part
- May injure you if not handled carefully
#6: Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press
Could it be that you are preparing for those intense drilling exercises? If you are, waste no time. This is the drill press to lay your hand on. On the whole, this machine has that ability to undertake such tasks well and with great precision.
Heavy Duty Motor
A heavy-duty motor comes in tops among the list of its most awesome features. This one produces and supplies to the system some ample power. It is it that makes it possible for you to accomplish those otherwise demanding drilling applications.
Oversize Work Table
The work table of this press is oversized. This means it can accommodate larger working samples and tools. At the same time, it bevels 0°-90° left and right. You will also be able to tilt it 0°-48 °, all for excellent working outcomes.
Some twin lasers conclude the topnotch features of this drill press. They are fully adjustable and emit some bright red crosshair on your workpiece. You will hence enjoy some accurate outcomes by using this drill press.
- Changes speed easily
- Maximizes the efficiency of the transmissions
- Achieves deeper drilling outcomes
- Performs repetitive chores with some consistency
- Eliminates inaccuracies and ambiguities
- You must have some experience to use this machine
- Imposes some clutter to your workspace
- Easily injures whenever appropriate care is not taken
#7: SHOP FOX W1680 1-Horsepower Floor Model Drill Press
Is your workshop small and cramped up? If it is, you have to bring in a drill press that is equally compact in size. This is the one we would recommend for such circumstance of use.
14-inch Tilting Table
At its core is a drilling table that measures the impressive 14 inches diameter. It can comfortably tilt at an angle of 0°-90°. This way, you get to tackle your workpieces from diverse angles and working spots.
Apart from tilting, you may also adjust this table in various ways and means. You may rotate it, vary its height, and even the operational angles. With these options, it is possible for you to handle many applications easily.
31-1/2-inch Maximum Drilling Depth
Its drilling depth is slightly deeper than that of your average drill press. It can, as a matter of fact, attain the generous 31-and-a-half inches. You will enjoy some unmatched versatility not to mention more enduring outcomes.
- Handles are coated with rubber for greater grip
- Provides the convenience you require for your workouts
- Built-in light lets you see in pitch darkness
- The powerful motor generates tough torque
- Solid cast iron construction lengthens the lifespan
- Cannot handle larger projects
- Only for home use
- Brings about lower value for money
#8: SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill PressNo products found.
Do you pursue matters woodwork mostly as a hobby? If you do, there is no need to invest your money in an expensive and complicated drill press. Only look up to a simple and cheaper one such as this.
Tilting Work Surface
The work surface of this drill press tilts to let you work at various angles. You may vary the inclination from 0° to 45° in both directions. This definitely ensures some precise angular drilling outcomes.
1/2-inch Keyed Chuck
To slot in your bits, you will use the 1/2-inch keyed chuck. This one is large enough to accept larger bits. It, in so doing, lets you cut and perform a couple of woodworking tasks perfectly.
Its benefits do not just end with the above traits. It possesses the legendary X2 2-beam laser which ensures precise hole alignments. Courtesy of this part, you are certain to enjoy more accurate outcomes than you would ordinarily.
- Aligns your work smoothly and perfectly
- Generates consistent drilling outcomes all the time
- Lets you choose your preferred speed of operations
- Accepts bits of varying diameters
- Tilting work surface lets you select a position that is convenient for you
- Limited in scope
- Only for light and less enduring tasks
- Requires upgrades for professional applications
No products found.
#9: HICO 8-Inch Bench Top Drill Press
Repetitive tasks require some consistency. This can only happen if the machine you use is accurate. For such tasks, we ask that you make do with this drill press. It has a bonus in that it may handle many kinds of materials at a time.
You will have the pleasure of varying the speeds of this press in five different options. This gives you the freedom and convenience to take on just about any other kind of task easily. The speed range varies from 760-3070 revolutions per minute.
Powerful 2/5 HP Motor
Generating the torque needed to work your items is the powerful motor which has a capacity of 2/5 horsepower. Through this motor, you get to obtain outcomes that are fantastic and consistent in nature.
2-inch Spindle Travel
The spindle of this drill press travels the comfortable 2 inches. For this reason, it yields some practical outcomes which are beyond the scope and achievability of many other tools of its kinds.
- Allows you to adjust the height
- Protects you from the possibilities of accidental starting
- Performs repetitive chores easily
- A great addition to the home and workshop
- Bevels to let you choose your preferred working angle
- Costly to maintain
- Accommodates fewer parts and accessories
- Unsuitable for on-the-go applications
#10: Grizzly G7943 12 Speed Heavy-Duty Bench-Top Drill Press
If you are a career workman, you definitely must utilize an industrial grade drill press. It is such a machine that has what may be necessary for such massive and crucial chores. This is the one to place your bet on.
The machine contains some built-in light. The role of this light is to illuminate your workspace. In so doing, it lets you do your job even when there is poor visibility nearby.
Precision-ground Cast Iron Table
You place your tasks on a table that is precision-ground and made of cast iron. This table is stable, firm, large enough and on the whole truly reliable.
Lastly, the table tilts left and right to let you position your workpieces conveniently. Courtesy of this arrangement, you will also be able to determine the size of the workspace that you might find needful for your job.
- Cheaper than most other drill presses of its kind
- Has a comfortable collar size
- Swings to let you impact your work seamlessly
- Decent overall height of 38 inches lets you handle all chores well
- Good for professional outcomes and jobs
- Weighty (154 pounds)
- Cumbersome to move around
- Calls for too much expertise on your part
#11: Euro Tool Small Benchtop Drill Press | DRL-300.00
Does your work entail some kind of drilling? You need a universal drilling machine to save you time and effort. Try this one out. It comprises all the vital traits that a good machine ought to possess. Consequently, it will more likely do you some good.
All factors considered, this drill press is space-saving indeed. That is because it measures small dimensions and at the same time is not so heavy. This is not to mention that it is also easier to use.
Notwithstanding its small size, this machine is still powerful enough. You will hence find it useful for all your drilling projects. This means it will hardly let you down in the course of use.
Finally, you will also be able to vary the speed of your work. This you will do using the variable speed functionality. As a matter of fact, you will be capable of hitting the admirable 8,500 revolutions per minute.
- Excellent back-end customer service
- Faster operating speeds
- Weighs a paltry 13 pounds
- Quite simple to utilize
- Spacious working platform (6-3/4 inches long by 6-3/4 inches wide)
- Too weak for strong projects
- Has a rather limited lifespan
- Performs fewer tasks
#12: Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press
If all you want is robust performance while in the workshop, this is the drill press to consider making use of. The reason underlying this is the fact that it is designed to handle professional applications pretty effectively.
Shaper/Router Table: 231
With this drill press, it is possible for you to do a number of things. You may shape, sand, cut, and beat a number of items and materials. All these are made possible by the awesome construction which the table embodies.
Sanding/Grinding Guide: A576
Apart from the core role of drilling, this press also lets you grind and sand a number of materials. This you will do using the grinding or sanding guide. It also doubles up as a work platform whenever this tool is mounted securely.
Dust Blower: 490
Crowning the unique features is the dust blower. You will engage it to get rid of the fine debris from your line of sight. This arrangement ensures that everything you embark on is clean and very precise.
- Adjustable to handle many tasks conveniently
- Holds the tools which you might be using while in progress
- Lets you choose the height which is convenient for you
- Compatible with many Dremel tools
- Yields consistent working depths
- Quite complicated for the average user
- Not for you if you lack the necessary technical skills
- Clutters and makes your workspaces tedious
#13: General International 75-010 M1 Bench-Top Drill Press, 12″, Green
For your long-term operational convenience, you must only insist on a durable drill press. This is to prevent you from having to repair and maintain yours in the best shape and form. Try this one out as it is more likely to do you just that.
Rack and Pinion Table
It does comprise a rack and pinion table; much like every other drill press. However, its are outstanding. Apart from being crank-operated, they also allow you to adjust them for your own convenience of use.
Opening Line Interrupter Switch
In the event of power failure, this machine will have to restart. The forced opening line interrupter switch makes this possible. Your safety is hence taken care of well, given that it eliminates the associated accidents.
All these features are packaged in some sturdy design. You will subsequently find the entire structure easier to relocate and handle on the whole. This is not to mention that you will also enjoy some limited space requirement.
- Adjusts the various parameters faster and easily
- The spring tension is also adjustable
- Built-in laser pointer ensures some accuracy
- Sturdy design allows for easier handling
- High-quality bearings for smooth rotation
- Costs a premium to afford
- Power consumption levels are too high
- Fidgets unnecessarily and is hence cumbersome to handle
#14: Lukcase Floor Drill Press Stand Table
It is impossible for you to employ some power drills without the use of a durable floor drill press. For this, we recommend the specially designed one such as this. On the whole, this press is firm and tough as to handle those issues well.
This machine gives you the power to alter the height and depth of the drills. This you will do using some separate adjustments. Being separate, you will hardly sustain those risks of over-drilling the stand.
Adjustable Drill Collar
Other than merely adjusting the height and depth of the drills, you will also enjoy the pleasure of adjusting the collar of the drill press. You will, in so doing, enjoy working with many kinds of tools which are of three different sizes.
Sturdy Metal Column Bar
A sturdy metal column bar also forms a vital part of this drill press. This one has a base which contains a couple of slots. In there, you shall fit a machine vise as well. Additionally, you will also enjoy some added support.
- Contains a whopping four clamping points for your bits
- Sets the depths of your cuts accurately
- Performs the stated chores with absolute precision
- Contains many parts and features
- Incorporates many traits of the ideal press
- Fidgets a lot when operating
- Unsuitable for use in environments with poor visibility
- Lacks the laser crosshair guides
#15: AMYAMY Floor Drill Press/Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press
It is impossible to work well and unhindered without the use of a wide and stable work table. Only this awesome machine has that ability to grant you such a surface. We hence recommend that you utilize it if you are desirous of such outcomes.
Copper Plug Re-adjustment
Sometimes it is never enough to merely set the dimensions of your workpieces. You want to go beyond that and confirm whether those parameters are indeed accurate. This machine, courtesy of the copper plug re-adjustment, lets you do that.
Throughout the machine are some precise graduations. Chances of you making any mistakes, missing any steps, or come up with erroneous readings are completely suppressed. Instead, you obtain better and accurate results.
Its pointers are transparent. For this reason, you will hardly miss any reading or arrive at a reading which is not what you were really looking for. Yet again, you have the benefit of accurate outcomes to your leverage.
- Comfortable clamping range
- Easily accepts many other bits and tools
- More durable by virtue of the cast iron bottom bracket
- Securely holds your work pieces together
- The spacing function lets you work comfortably
- Heavy muscle power is necessary to engage the machine
- Deploying it to a remote location may never be easy
- Demands too much attention on your part
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do drill press sizes mean?
This is simply the distance between the centers of the press’s spindle to the edge of the column multiplied by 2.
What is a drill press good for?
A drill press is great for many tasks and purposes. You may use it for drilling, grinding, sanding, measuring and cutting materials. Moreover, you may also attach many accessories to extend the range of tasks it may perform.
How big a drill press do I need?
This depends mostly on the size of the task you have in mind. Choose a floor model for repeated and prolonged duration of use. Otherwise, any small version might do for other chores.
How is the size of a drill press determined?
The size of a drill press is largely determined by its throat capacity. This is simply the distance between the center of the chuck and the column.
What is a throat depth on a drill press?
The throat depth is the distance between the column and the chuck. It determines the overall size of the tasks which the drill press may handle on the whole.
Last update on 2023-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API