I don’t think if there is anybody in this world who likes the smell of diesel unless it’s being filled in a car. Its odor is so strong and irritating. But do you know what’s more irritating?
Spilling diesel on your clothes. The smell will trail with you all day just like a shadow and worse enough, you want to be able to get rid of it at the moment.
However, there are ways on how to get rid of this smell out from your fabric without causing damage. Some of these ways include:
The use of Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola is a very good absorbent due to its chemical composition. Thus it can eliminate the diesel odor out of your clothes but you’ll also need baking soda during the process.
How is it used?
- The first step is to soak the clothes in a basin full of water and a small amount of degreasing detergent. The purpose of the degreasing detergent is to break up the diesel molecules out of the clothes but not that it doesn’t remove the diesel odor.
- The second step is to remove the clothes and rinse them thoroughly
- The third step is to add the clothes in a basin full of water, a 1-liter bottle of Coca-Cola and pack full of baking soda. In case you are using a washing machine, you can add the Coca-Cola along with the baking soda when washing.
The use of vinegar
We all know that vinegar has a strong smell and it’s used gives food a good smell and taste during cooking and salad dressing. Now, vinegar is not an odor absorbent but rather a weak acid (with a strong smell) which acts as a degreasing detergent.
How it is used?
- The first step is to soak the clothes in a basin full of water, vinegar, baking soda, and a degreasing detergent. The measurements of the vinegar must be equal or equal valent to that of baking soda. Now, if the smell or the diesel stain is extensive then you will be required to do this process a couple of times for a period of 7 to 12 hours.
- The second step is to rinse them with a lot of water thoroughly.
- Afterward, the cloth is now ready to be washed.
The use of an enzyme-based liquid detergent
Enzyme based liquid detergents are very strong detergents, sometimes referred to as heavy-duty detergents that can remove tough stains on a cloth. I would recommend using Tide which is among the commonly used enzyme-based liquid detergent.
How it is used?
- The first step is to soak the clothes or cloth in a basin full of water and liquid soap and the stain remover. This is to allow the stain remover to target the stains rather than pouring on the clothes’ stain directly. Also, the water acts as a neutralizer to the chemical compound of the liquid stain remover as it is highly corrosive.
- The second step is to use a brush to gently rub on the stained cloth. The brush will help remove the diesel stains in which have been degreased by the stain remover leaving the stain remover sweat smell on the cloth. Afterward, rinse the cloth with a lot of water thoroughly.
- The third step is soaking the clothes in water and baking soda in case there is still diesel odor. Then afterward, redo the first and second step again.
The use of mouth wash
The mouth wash is designed to give a fresh odor on the mouth and thus, they are sweet-smelling. This trait makes them suitable for removing diesel odor on stained clothes. Listerine is highly recommended during this situation since it has a mint sweet smell that will live your clothes smelling fresh.
How it is used?
- The first step is to soak your clothes on a basin filled with water and soap in case you are hand washing your clothes. Then add the mouth wash (in this case Listerine) onto the mixture and leave it for a while.
- Alternatively, in the case of a washing machine add the clothes with water and soap on the washing machine. Then add the mouth wash onto the mixture.
Afterward, leave the clothes to dry on the sun or a dryer in case you have any.
Use of a dishwashing soaps
Dishwashing soaps are very strong detergent which is used to clean the toughest stains including oil and grease. Now the advantage of using it is that it leaves a good smell on the cloth after washing.
How it is used?
Whether its hand washing or machine washing, the dishwashing soap is then added to the water, soap mixture during the wash in which will deodorize the diesel smell out of the cloth. (Mind you soaking the clothes first with the dishwashing soap is very necessary)
Precautions that you need to take when deodorizing the diesel smell out of your cloth
- Avoid drying the clothes with a dryer incase the diesel stain is present
- The diesel is highly flammable and thus if the stain is still present it may damage the cloth by burning it.
- Avoid mixing diesel splashed clothes with other clothes.
- Diesel has a strong odor and if you mix a diesel stained cloth with other clothes during washing, it will lead to your other clothes smelling like diesel. (Note diesel is immiscible in water and during washing its particles tend to float on water)
- Avoid brushing the cloth roughly.
- Fabrics are very delicate and therefore need gentle care during the washing and cleaning process.
- Avoid using bleaching detergents
- Bleaching detergents tend to react with the diesel. This might end up damaging the fabric’s color and texture.
Thus, the type of cloth stained by the diesel will determine which method among the ones mentioned above.